- Window replacement in historic building is the least effective energy retrofit
- Repair and reuse are the cornerstones to sustainability
- When designing green buildings use what nature gave you: brick, wood, glass
- Durability of buildings is important to sustainability
1. Historic homes were designed to be repaired and replaced.
2. For a $15,000 investment in windows you only get a 5% savings.
3. #1 Upgrade for windows should be the addition of storm windows, not replacement
4. Vapour retarder is better than a vapour barrier, it allows drying
5. Insulation in old homes should be one of the following, depending on the situation: Rock Wool, expanding spray foam, foam boards or cellulose
Visit the REEP website